It’s an honor to serve the citizens of District 36 and to represent our community’s best interests by making jobs and education our State’s top priorities. We have lowered taxes, simplified business regulations, and passed legislation to get our economy moving. Our investments in education and attention to quality instruction and student achievement are making a difference in our schools. We are seeing the results:
- Created over 350,000 new jobs with unemployment at 4.1%, a 9 year low.
- $4.4 billion in total tax cuts for working families and businesses.
- Rated the #2 State to do business in by Forbes and Site Selection magazine.
- $1.6 billion “Rainy Day” savings fund and a $425 million budget surplus.
- Largest teacher pay increase in the Nation. A combined 15.5% salary increase for teachers over the past 3 years; average teacher salaries over $50,000.
- Highest 4-year high school graduation rate in State history.
- Making college affordable by guaranteeing no tuition hikes for 4 years.
As Senior Chair of the House Appropriations Committee I have passed balanced budgets, lowered our State’s debt, insured our “AAA” bond rating, and made investments to spur economic growth. Our most important investment has been to increase public school funding by $1.5 billion including the largest teacher pay raise in the Nation.
I will keep working to create more high quality jobs as we increase investments in our education system to insure our students are ready to compete in the global economy. With your support, I will continue to seek solutions that bring people together and move North Carolina forward.
Please know I will appreciate your vote on November 8th.